Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Distortion power factor


The distortion power factor describes how the harmonic distortion of a load current decreases the average power transferred to the load.

\mbox{distortion power factor} = {1 \over \sqrt{ 1 + \mbox{THD}_i^2}} = {I_{\mbox{1,rms}}  \over I_{\mbox{rms}}}

THDi is the total harmonic distortion of the load current. This definition assumes that the voltage stays undistorted (sinusoidal, without harmonics). This simplification is often a good approximation in practice. I1,rms is the fundamental component of the current and Irms is the total current - both are root mean square-values.

The result when multiplied with the displacement power factor (DPF) is the overall, true power factor or just power factor (PF):



\mbox{PF} = \mbox{DPF} {I_{\mbox{1,rms}}  \over I_{\mbox{rms}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment